909-547-4651

March 28, 2024, 12:05:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out New Products for your Rig at the Rugged Rocks Online Store

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: eglaisi's 4x4 hardbody  (Read 43350 times)
eglaisi

« on: April 05, 2009, 09:42:56 PM »

Well, here goes:

Back in Nov/08 I traded my 91 pathfinder for a rolled over 95 Hardbody (plus cash  Hit ). 

After a couple months of looking for a used cab, a friend of mine (who also has an 05 Fronty) asked me if I was interested in his 91 SE hardbody that had a pretty nice body on it, but rusty frame.  Couldn't pass it up.  He bought it off the showroom floor in 91 and had all the service records since then.    Thumb-Up

So, the first weekend I had free I rented a trailer and retrieved it.  It's new home:

Waited out the long, cold winter until I could actually work on things.  Brought down the 95 to work and starting stripping it:

Took the cab off on Saturday (Apr 4):

Pressure washed what's left of the truck today.  Going to pull the engine and tranny next weekend and probably just going to go over the frame with a wire wheel and primer/paint/undercoat it.  Then the 91 comes down and gets the cab lifted off and engine/tranny pulled and everything put on the 95 frame.  Most likely not putting a box on it, but building a flat bed.  End result will have a 2" body lift, plus there's a suspension lift coming pretty soon, thanks to Steve!
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:54:23 PM »

wow, what a project. Keep us posted on the progress

Rugged Rocks Newsletter | Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com!
------------------------------------------
"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
eglaisi

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 06:12:46 PM »

Update:

Frame redone in POR15 and topcoated with chassis semi gloss black

New suspension in, Calmini UCAs/Shackles, ARB OME leaf springs, SwayAway t-bars.  ProComp ES9000 shocks all around, waiting for them to some in.

Calmini steering upgrade needs to be sandblasted and painted then installed.

Next up is poly leaf spring bushings and stainless brake lines front and rear.

Thumb-Up

I don't want to know how much I'm into this, and I don't even have a body or drivetrain in it yet   cover
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 07:27:06 PM »

Keep up the good work!  Thumb-Up

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
X_Trippin
22nd Expeditionary Group

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 10:00:09 AM »

Looking good man, I wish I would have kept my 91 hardbody. 

"At this point I AM driving the fanciest mall crawler ever built... ."    Erick

"men go fishing all their lives without really knowing that it's not fish they're after."  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Rugged Rocks Newsletter
RuggedRocks on AIM!
AMSOIL Referal #1714095
dvdswan

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 09:58:16 AM »

awesome work. cheers

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
Calmini 3" SL, Steering, LSD frt, Lock-Rite rear
eglaisi

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 07:01:38 PM »

Thanks guys!   Thumb-Up

Calmini steering is installed, poly bushings are in the springs, and the stainless brake lines are in.  Just have to get my other cab off the other frame, do a tune-up on the "new" engine and switch everything over to the new frame.

As far as I know, the hardest part is done   cover
eglaisi

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 07:46:38 PM »

Well, driveline is on the 'new' frame minus a rear driveshaft.  Did plugs and wires while engine was exposed, #6 plug is a bugger with the firewall right there.  Torqued everything down and greased everything I could, got my custom body lift (2") ready to go.  Cleaned up the engine bay and de-greased the engine.  Cranked the bars a bit more after I dropped the engine in.  UCAs are sitting about 1/2" from bumpstops.  Cab weight will bring it down some and I can adjust as I see fit from there.  Just my luck, NGK blue matches Calmini blue   Thumb-Up

The truck finally gets a cab on it tomorrow.  Can't wait.
Oz
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 10:04:38 PM »

eglaisi

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 08:31:08 PM »

Forgot to update you guys   cover

Cab went on smoothly.  Got everything hooked back up last night and got it running.  Still need to bleed the brakes, find the battery drain and a couple more little things to clear up, but at least it runs once again! 
Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 08:31:08 PM »

SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 10:28:19 PM »

Niice!

X_Trippin
22nd Expeditionary Group

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 12:51:18 PM »

Looking good there,  don't you love it when a plan comes together.

"At this point I AM driving the fanciest mall crawler ever built... ."    Erick

"men go fishing all their lives without really knowing that it's not fish they're after."  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Rugged Rocks Newsletter
RuggedRocks on AIM!
AMSOIL Referal #1714095
eglaisi

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 06:49:01 PM »

Yes I do!

Here's some more:

Fixed the battery cable so now it's starting again.  Will do brakes sometime, got a few odds n ends before I can play in the dirt, but it's all easy from here!   Thumb-Up
Chopp Inc.
Chopp Inc.

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 04:44:39 PM »

Looks about like what im in the process of doing. Kinda, but everything is out getting fixed right now.

Im just the welder. I like to weld!
mcm4090

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »

cool project.
eglaisi

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 05:18:51 PM »

Thanks guys.

Did some more work this weekend... brakes are done.  New rear shoes, wheel cylinders, and spring packs went in yesterday and bled the brakes so now it actually stops again.  Diff breather is in, parking brake is attached, shocks are in, driveshaft safety catch is on (modified for BL),  undercoated the cab, grille and lights back in, torsion bars re-indexed, and fenders hacked with a disc cutter (just until my new fenders come in).  Needs gap guards, exhaust routing and a couple skidplates to be put back on and I believe I can drive this thing.  I have about 40' of 2" round, and about 8' square for the bed, I'll get some more then start building.

eglaisi

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 08:44:14 PM »

New update!   Idiot

Dug the ole HB outta winter storage and started working on it once again.  First, I tore the soggy carpet out and fixed my transfer case lever.  Due to the body lift, the shifter could not fully go into 4LO.  This was a huge problem obviously.  All I did was heat up the shifter with the torch, put a cheater on the shifter and threw my muscles into it.  Now there's plenty of clearance and it goes from 2HI to 4LO no prob.

Today I took it into my exhaust guy and got him to route the stinky fumes elsewhere.  Also added a Summit racing resonator (put in backwards) to quiet things a bit.  Turned out great!

Now she doesnt sound so ugly!  Just looks ugly!....   but that will change.  I have new fenders waiting in the shed, just have to mod them a bit.    Sliders are ready to mount up, maybe next weekend.  I started on gap guards tonight, will get those done tomorrow.  Also picked up some 1.75" HREW last weekend.  I'll throw that in my JD2 bender soon and see what happens   Thumb-Up

gitarboyx

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 01:30:26 PM »

that things lookin great man! good work.

When in doubt, gas it out.
eglaisi

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 09:32:05 PM »

Got some tube work done:

Next up is mounting sliders and then the main roll bar hoop.  Then I can start building the bedsides/fenders off that.

Picked up a craigslist gem.  Brand new Warn M8000 with everything (manual, stickers, hawse fairlead, remote, mounting bolts etc) For $500.  Time to fab a bumper I guess.  Not 100% on a design yet.

Slow but sure progress.... we'll get er done!  Hit
eglaisi

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 10:54:44 PM »

Pictures tell the story:

eglaisi

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 11:40:27 PM »

So yea Im puttin 1tons under the truck   cheers

Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: