909-547-4651

March 28, 2024, 02:35:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To Subscribe to the Rugged Rocks Forum RSS Feed

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nissan Pathfinder Solid Axle Swap Rock Crawler Build Outline.  (Read 68044 times)
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« on: January 31, 2008, 12:24:53 PM »

A little over a year ago I posted in the 4Wheel Drive and Sport Utility Magazine Forum of how i wanted to build my Nissan Pathfinder Rock Crawler and was outlined as so:

(x) 6" Lift -- more like 8" with the Solid Axle Swap D44 Solid Axle Swap w/  4.88's
[] Swap D44 for Diamond Front H233B
[] Front ARB Air Locker
(x) Rear ARB Air Locker
[] 37" Tires
(x) Beadlock Rims
(x) 5:1 Atlas Transfercase
[] Roll Cage
[ ]Onboard Welder
(x) Doug Thorley Headers
[] Performance Cams
[] Nistune Performance Computer Upgrade
(x) Suspension Seats
[] Lowrance GPS  

Additions Since the Original Outline:
CB Radio
Ham Radio
Relocated ECU
Chromoly Axle Shafts (front & rear)
Long Arm Rear Suspension
Winch Bumper - Front
High Clearance Rear Bumper

Keep an eye on the Nissan Pathfinder Rock Crawler Project section of this forum for writeups on each of these points as we build our Nissan Pathfinder. The Completed Points in this thread will be turned into links to the write up as they are completed.
Give us your input on what you think in each section!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 07:37:22 PM by SteeevO » Logged

Rugged Rocks Newsletter | Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com!
------------------------------------------
"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
garcyox
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 04:51:13 PM »

Thanks for the inspiration. I have a 93 pathfinder and I want to start doing some of offroad driving. It is still standard so I'm looking for ways to beef it upa bit on a very tight budget. I'm thinking of starting with lifting it a bit. Do you think this is a good place to start, and where can I get some good deals on lift kits and over parts to start the upgrade?
Your path finder is real slick, nice works guys.
Thanks
GarcyOX
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 10:48:44 AM »

no problem!
It's good to see people like you wanting to get into off-road. for starting with a stock Pathfinder i'd say first thing get 31" tires on it since they will fit on there stock. Some trucks came with 31's from the factory. if you already have 31's then i'd say to get a 3" lift like the one calmini offers. Stick around here, ask lots of questions and i'd be glad to help you out.
-Steven

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
SoCal97

My Hero

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 07:04:33 PM »

Hey Steeevo,

What are your thoughts on a SAS on an R50. Taking out the IFS is like two hours, i think like 12 bolts and it's on the floor....my real concern is where to weld all the bracketry....No Frame Rails! I would have to a lot of plates or get real creative with spreading load, so no one area takes too much load.

I can drop the whole front IFS and install 4" homemade blocks, then go back to stock spring height on the struts, but after all the work with the steering linkage i would have to do, is it really going to give me any more travel? Not much! For now, i'll throw some 33's on it, cut the fenders and start planning the SAS....

For any skeptics whos say, sell it and buy a solid axle 4x4.....No Way, i own the pathy, i know every creak and moan and it's one of the best cars/trucks i've ever owned. The SAS might take a year or so of planning and Maybe i'm just a drunk loone Idiot

They talk of my drinking but never my thirst.
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 11:57:07 PM »

Thats a rough one. i honestly wouldn't know where to start.... but the Jeep XJ's are uni-body so there is hope...

I've honestly never had my head under an r50 so i really can't say much right now. Next time i see one I'm gonna have to stop and take a glance underneath to get a quick idea of what we're really dealing with.

cameron_garrison

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 10:23:25 AM »

on ronin theres someone thats starting one hes doing a 3link hes also done a 4.5l swao also into it
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 11:14:03 AM »

nice, that sounds like it'll be a pretty cool rig

cameron_garrison

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 12:05:49 PM »

yah its going to be swet
pathfinder_man

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 09:15:12 PM »

i was wondering how your pathfinder drives on the street and off road. does it still handle good on road is there any major downfalls for on road driving? let me know. thanks
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 11:38:08 AM »

The biggest two things are right now i have a little too much caster and the body roll is pretty extensive... but i'm not running sway bars right now either..

My steering could also use high-steer but since it managable i havn't messed with it.

Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 11:38:08 AM »

yozsi

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 06:42:45 PM »

Too much caster because you guys didn't rotate the c's or that you rotated too much?
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 07:55:30 PM »

the pinion angle is low and didn't rotate the C's. getting that pinion angle up soon though, depending on how much i may need to rotate the C's. we'll know soon.

yozsi

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 10:06:23 AM »

yea, i set up my pinion angle at 16 degrees and i rotated the c's for about 7 degrees of caster. i hope it works well.
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 10:11:21 AM »

7 is a little on the high side but should be alright. i'd recomend about 4 - 5
 i'm around 7 - 8

wojcik15

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 06:13:04 PM »

call me stupid if you would like,it won't hurt my feelings.I just feel very overwhelmed.I have a 99 pathfinder, totally stock and i 4 wheel on some great trails in colorado.People always are amazed at what a stock pathfinder can do and i just tell them they are missing out.In a way though i am missing out because on some trails i need a higher ride hiegth.i've looked at calmini and even calmini doesn't really have anything for my year pathfinder.I am ambitious to tinker onthe pathy,due to me being a maintenance man for a living.I love to figure things out like this but in this case i do not have the tools or shop to do a solid axle swap.If i could i would want to get to a 35" inch tire,need to find away to get a arb bumper with winch on the front,going to do a full rollcage,travelcage on top,lights all over it,and blackout everything.Again though i do not have the resources to do the lift and 95 to 03 pathfinder seem to have no after market parts whatso ever.Any ideas would be helpful or anyone know of a great shop that could do it would be appreciated.
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 10:56:55 AM »

it would be lots of work for your truck being that it's a uni-body truck but it can be done. There is a guy called TMorgan on some of the other nissan boards that may be able to help you out. check on Nissan4Wheelers  Thumb-Up
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 12:50:23 PM by SteeevO » Logged

dirty bill

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 12:02:49 PM »

IIRC theres a guy on NPORA that stuffed a dana 60 under his, the build thread started a few months ago, shouldnt be too hard to find.

SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 07:25:46 PM »

I updated this list a bit  cheers

theking
KI6WTF
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 11:40:48 PM »

I'd add and cross off 4 linking the rear, too.

Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com
Pamountianbiker

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 08:01:34 PM »

What are you using for steering Huh? I want to go full hydro but I'm clueless about what to get any Ideas ?

1998 Nissan pathfinder
37's
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 02:19:46 PM »

What power steering pump do you have?

Pamountianbiker

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 06:42:09 PM »

stock R50 pump

1998 Nissan pathfinder
37's
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 12:25:52 AM »

Is it the same pump as The D22 X and Frontier?

Sorry for the lack of experience on that one. Not a ton of people are building R50s

Pamountianbiker

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 08:33:37 PM »

I have changed my mind and now I'm gonna run full hydro Thumb-Up

1998 Nissan pathfinder
37's
Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: