909-547-4651

April 30, 2024, 10:06:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Checkout our customer Product Reviews!!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Southern NM, Wheeling the Xterra (Pic Heavy)  (Read 27588 times)
CaptainMorgan_SOS

« on: April 29, 2014, 08:40:32 PM »

I figured I'd post this here since I couldn't really find a place for it. I'll just kinda use this thread to post up whatever pics I have from wheeling out here. There won't be too much text but just a lot of pics of the area and just wheeling out here. There are some pics of the X, but lately, it has become hard to take pics of it since I am just having fun wheeling and forget. There are some poser pics, but oh well. If you have any questions or comments let me know!

Before, when the Xterra was running a body lift and 33s. Coyote Canyon, Tularosa, NM.

Turning point for the Xterra... Here it is sitting in Kenny's driveway getting ready for the SAS.
CaptainMorgan_SOS

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 08:40:53 PM »

Rattlesnake Canyon, La Luz, NM
There were a lot of different rigs on this trip. Some really big boys, stockers and everything in between. Only one Nissan though Wink This is the first trip where I got to REALLY test out the Xterra, and it performed VERY well! There is a clearance issue with the front bumper coming in contact with the tires and also the rear edge of the rear, inner wheel wells that need to be trimmed about an inch, but the suspension travel is awesome! As soon as these issues get cleared up and I run the air line to the locker, it will really shine.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:59:22 PM by CaptainMorgan_SOS » Logged
CaptainMorgan_SOS

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 08:41:17 PM »

Rattlesnake continued. Poser pics included, as well some guy who REALLY wanted a pic next to the X. He had a really capable Jeep and he, as well as everyone else there, was really impressed with how the Xterra was built (hat tip to Steve and Kenny!).

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:52:30 PM by CaptainMorgan_SOS » Logged
conor1123

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 11:56:08 AM »

Awesomeee! Glad to see it in action already! Can't wait to see more.

1993 Pathfinder 4x4
3" lift ~ 3" BL ~ 33's
Ready for SAS Smiley
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 04:46:27 PM »

cheers cheers

Awesome!!
It's good to see that thing on the trail

Rugged Rocks Newsletter | Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com!
------------------------------------------
"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
CaptainMorgan_SOS

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 07:25:46 PM »

Yeah, I have been out of town so much that it has been hard to get out on the trails. You'll get to see it much more at Moab Wink
theking
KI6WTF
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 12:28:47 PM »

Nice!!!  rear bumper looks good!

Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 03:54:52 PM »

You got the plastic fender trim back on too. Awesome  cheers

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
CaptainMorgan_SOS

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 08:33:53 PM »

Yeah, I ended up getting an extra set of fender trim from Rok and cut up the sets and grafted them together. I need to work on the rears a little bit more before I mount them, but the should be ready before GONE.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 08:35:27 PM by CaptainMorgan_SOS » Logged
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »

how did you get it all back together at the splice?

Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »

CaptainMorgan_SOS

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 08:49:02 PM »

Trimmed a piece to bold to the back then filled the inside of the trim with platic filler about 6" each side of the cut and then sanded the front smooth. You can still kinda see the line on the outside and I can't seem to fix that but hopefully it won't be noticeable once I paint it.
CaptainMorgan_SOS

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 11:26:54 PM »

Haven't posted up here in a while. Still wheeling whenever I can. First baby boy is keeping me home to play with him, but I still get out and play with the Xterra every once in a while.

These were form a trail out here called 3 Amigos. It's basically 3 different canyons consisting of sharp rocks, water falls, lots of cool articulation points and some really hairy stuff if you really want to get some serious trail damage. We've went out on quite a few trips to a lot of trails out here, but not too many pics are ever taken unless one of the guys bring out a friend to ride shotgun or they have their wife with them.

This has been the normal group lately with the exception of that 4 door Wrangler... he didn't much like the areas we were getting into; now, we aren't running straight up buggies so we aren't "hardcore" by any means but he's more of a "light wheeler" and prefers the dirt roads rather than the rocks.

Hutch decided to go up the hill... and then ran out of gas...

Road to the trail. A lot of fun articulation spots in here.

They called this little spot "The articulator." You do this about 4 times on each side as you are coming down this hill. This was the spot I absolutely refused to do back before the SAS. It's pretty fun. You find out if you have any clearance issues, quickly.

Poser shot.

These are pics from about a year ago when I wouldn't go down it. They are the only pics I have from the back side of it.

There are a lot of little rock gardens out here with sharp curves, sketchy off camber spots and waterfalls at the end. This pic does not really show any of that. But they are there. I promise.

Overall, wheeling out here is a blast. As for the Xterra, the leaf springs are starting to sag a bit in the rear, most likely because of the extra weight of the rear bumper and tire back there (aaaaand because they are still the stock leaf springs... from 2002...) so I may need to upgrade those soon. but besides that and a little rubbing still on the door side of the rear fender well, everything is still working as it should and its a blast to play around with.  Now I just need to go ahead and get the last parts needed for the hydro assist setup... I have been procrastinating on that, bad.
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 06:10:44 PM »

those are nice pics Dave.
I'm glad the X is work'n good  cheers

Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: