909-547-4651

March 29, 2024, 01:22:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To Subscribe to the Rugged Rocks Forum RSS Feed

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What GPS do you use and why?  (Read 9313 times)
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« on: July 18, 2013, 11:41:09 AM »

What make / model of GPS do you prefer?

I've been using a Lowrance HDS 5M and I know a ton of race trucks do too however, I know a ton of people out there use garmins and magellans etc.. for the trail

What gps do you guys prefer and why?

Rugged Rocks Newsletter | Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com!
------------------------------------------
"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
The_Magicians_Eye

91 Pathy SE

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 05:29:31 PM »

Last time we went we tried using a Netbook with "Streets and Trips" and GPS. The GPS receiver I have isn't goo enough. I need a better one. It's a bit on the bulky side but I think it's Technology that could be refined to work better on the trail.

My issue with GPS Units is their lack of truly supporting offroad and on road travel. It's ether one or the other. I don't know of any that do both really well. If you guys know of a good one that does both really well with a decent size screen let me know.

GhostX

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 08:57:51 AM »

DeLorme Pn-60...very accurate.  Hand held, so not great for in car, but my focus is geocaching.  My unit is usually accurate to 7 ft.

It also provides for upgrade to the memory slot, right now I run a 32MB card for the Topo maps and geocache information.  Unit is a solid performer for the last 3 years.  I also use rechargable batteries, which it would go through a set of AA's in about 8-10 hours.

The plug in software doesn't work with Google Chrome, so information has to be downloaded through IE for geocaching.

2005 Xterra 4x4 ~ KD6DCI ~ Fully Shrocked ~ Kenwood TM-742A Tri-Band Radio ~ PRG Suspension ~
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 11:00:38 AM »

what format are the topo files that the delorme takes?

Rugged Rocks Newsletter | Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com!
------------------------------------------
"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: