909-547-4651

March 28, 2024, 09:27:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To Subscribe to the Rugged Rocks Forum RSS Feed

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: new direction  (Read 69629 times)
dvdswan

« on: January 19, 2013, 08:50:20 PM »

so browsing CL I came across a deal I had to take.  bought a 5.3l, tranny, t/case, wiring harness, and PCM from this 2003 tahoe...

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
Calmini 3" SL, Steering, LSD frt, Lock-Rite rear
dvdswan

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 08:42:55 PM »

took the engine, trans, and t/case out today... tons of room in the engine compartment now. pulled out the seats and carpet also. tomorrow I will start cleaning up the engine bay and pulling the not needed wiring. the Chevrolet trans/transfer is about an inch shorter than the Nissan and the transmission mount on the Nissan is about an inch forward more than the Chevy.

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
dvdswan

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 08:20:19 PM »

Cleaned up the engine compartment and touched up the unpainted areas. started test fitting the eng/trans, looks like the crossover tube will not need to be modified.

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
dvdswan

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 05:54:08 PM »

finished building the engine today... tomorrow I will do a final test fit and make final adjustments, then the cab will come off.

then I set the intake on just for looks...

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
dvdswan

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 06:12:08 PM »

So the past couple of days I've been doing some grinding and cleaning up the frame. Also, picked up another t/case that had a shorter front output shaft and installed in mine. then set the KC on the frame. time now to measure, cut, measure, cut.... need a little more trimming in the eng. compartment but its a lot better than the gapping holes in the other cab for the shock towers.

the cab will fit nicely in front of the rear mount of the slider.

I have to trim up about an 1-1/2" to sit properly over the frame, then I can place the fuel tank in and cut the cab to fit that.

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
dvdswan

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 07:54:37 PM »

so I've been struggling over the crossmember for the transmission the past couple of days and it finally started to work the way I planned. 

the plan is to run 2 pieces of angle iron from front to back, one for each bolt.

my buddy help me out with the welding...

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
dvdswan

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 07:23:15 PM »

ok, fixed the driver side engine mount and mounted the drivetrain.

then my buddy brought the bed over and we notched to fit over the coilover towers and get ready to cut down the front to fit the cab.  no the side is not completely finished...

if you notice where the slider rear mount is the bed will bed will be cut down that far. or right about where the 7" line is.

the coilover towers...

bed length after the tire...

here's a good comparison difference between the truck tail light and pathy tail light and how the truck will look from the rear.

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
dvdswan

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 07:08:27 PM »

so today I did some shopping. bought the paint, drive shafts, accessory kit for a corvette (this will give me an additional 1-9/16" of space for a radiator and cooling fans). I've been looking for exhaust stuff as well, but no luck. I came across a LSx swap in a MJ (jeep commanche pickup) and they had what looked like factory tube manifolds which would be easier to weld to than the cast ones. I plan on making my own system for that from here...

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/index.php?cPath=10&osCsid=d7355793f1867325a57f0b04dabe5a06

I'm looking for these manifolds, Camaro style exhaust manifolds..

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
dvdswan

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 04:45:44 PM »

I started working on the exhaust today. I got the passenger side completely tacked together and started the driver side and realized I needed another 45* pipe. ooops. My buddy started helping with the bed and got it laid out and part of it removed.

the outside panel will be the length of the bed. around 4'.

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
dvdswan

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 08:13:27 PM »

well a little of progress today but not much. I got more parts, fuel pumps because the stock ones I found out aren't actually rated for 60 psi, they can do it but for how long not sure. gauges I'm still not sure but I want to use the stock cluster, these are a back up and steel tubing for the fuel lines and finish welding the front part of the exhaust...

and the pups came to help...

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 08:13:27 PM »

dvdswan

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 07:52:59 PM »

so today I put the cab back on to finish the bed and install the front bed brackets.  also need to finish some odds and ends for the engine.  once that is done I can remove the cab for the last time and paint it.

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
dvdswan

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 04:35:42 PM »

so today I installed the front driveline with a new CV joint on it, installed the exhaust (now I just need to put hangers on it), install the front of the engine for fitment of the radiator and its tight. I'm still fighting the bed mount radiator. Also, got the bed set to the proper height and placement for installing the front bed mounts.  I will be trimming to move the rad forward about an inch and need to figure out how the hoses are going to work and I need to find some really thin electric fans now.

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 03:46:25 PM »

Awesome. good to see the exhaust system was worked out as well.
Keep it comming.
 cheers

Rugged Rocks Newsletter | Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com!
------------------------------------------
"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
dvdswan

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 08:17:03 PM »

well not much happened this weekend, well at least to the truck. I made some radiator brackets and the start of the heater hose brackets. I need to add some foam strips to them and need to figure a way to hold the radiator down.

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
dvdswan

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 08:39:39 PM »

ok, so now I'm torn again. I picked up a LS1 intake for cheap and figured I see what the differences were. well, here's the truck intake....

and the LS1 intake...

and the best part is... no need to fab the crossover hoop...

now its decision time... I go with the LS1 intake I need to pick up possible fuel rails, injectors and the fuel filter (not cheap BTW)... oooh and the coolest part... engine covers

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
dvdswan

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 03:51:57 PM »

so today I worked on the bed for a little. made a filler piece and it looks like I need to align the pathy side better, its off about an 1/8" grr. I then placed the 2 front bed mounts and tacked them on the frame. then went the the back and tacked in the tailgate support and it certainly stiffened up the bedside.

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
dvdswan

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 06:51:54 PM »

so today I work more on the bed, did some trimming for the spare tank filler neck hose and tacked in a wheel well from my old bed. did some more fitting for the taillight and the tailgate. I think there is a plactic piece that the Pathys have the goes next to the taillight but don't remember. I have about a 1/8" gap top and bottom between the sheet metal but the taillight gap is about a 1/4". More thinking here. I also went to the junkyard looking to stuff and found a 85 Pontaic GTA, hood louvres! sweet and in great shape too. (there's another GTA hood there in great shape too, I'm might pick that one up too)

yep, love the pathy taillight over the truck taillight

now I have to decide how I'm going to place them. these are true working louvres, so engine temps will be cooler for wheeling.

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
dvdswan

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 04:50:55 PM »

did some work on the dr. side bed and some more thinking on the louvres.

the long slats are at the slight slope of the hood to allow the air to flow into the engine compartment.

and these would be with the old style hood with the 3 slots in the front and made so that air would flow through them.

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
dvdswan

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 07:14:52 PM »

so today I think a lot got accomplished. more little stuff, but a lot of little stuff. 1st, reverified the thermostat housing to the lower radiator.

the upper and lower hose pipes will be cut and have 90* pipes installed. the veiw looking down, you can see how the upper hose will be with a 90* in the hose going to the water pump, the side view you can see the hose will have about a 30* bend to the lower hose pipe.

I made a cutout for the heater hoses to go by the AC compressor.

I also removed the strip on the pass side to weld up the front inner bed side

my friend evened the gap on the driver side bed side for a clean fit, then installed it. I prepped the tailgate bracket so I can possibly get that done tomorrow and still need to fit the front of the bed side but its on.

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
dvdswan

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 08:09:11 PM »

so today I worked more on the bed. got the dr. side taillight assembly welded in. tailgate is now going to be right around 50", inside opening is 48-1/4" and outside opening is 50-1/4". tailgate is currently 54-1/4" so 4" must go bye bye. I tacked the inside front of the bed, the wheel well opening is also tacked in. I had to trim some piece on the tailgate support so the lights fit in perfect. I will add the metal back in but it will be straight instead of bending in towards the taillight assembly. I also cutout the louver openings on the GTA hood, then put tape lines where I am thinking of cutting out for the rear bumper.

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
dvdswan

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 06:03:27 PM »

finished the bed corners today.  not the best welds but the corners are a definitely stout.

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
dvdswan

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 05:33:20 PM »

so yesterday I made access covers...

and today I started on the hood.

and some trimming clean up is needed on the inside...

and some input would be appreciated on how to deal with the slight hump for the rear louvers...

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
dvdswan

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 04:19:40 PM »

today I tacked in the rear louvers...

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
dvdswan

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 04:04:10 PM »

so I got off my ass and started working on the truck again.

started on the rear bumper and instrument cluster...

seeing if the gauges will fit the stock cluster...

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
CaptainMorgan_SOS

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 07:24:49 PM »

Man, this is an awesome build!
Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: