909-547-4651

March 28, 2024, 02:28:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: View our New trail run pictures in the Image Gallery

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nissan Pathfinder Solid Axle Swap 3-Link Brackets & Transmission Crossmember  (Read 28295 times)
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« on: October 03, 2012, 07:48:58 PM »

For a Nissan Pathfinder Solid Axle swap, you'll of course need to know where to weld the link brackets to the frame and to the Axle. I'll be posting close up pictures as well as a few measurements so when you get this kit in your hands, you'll know where it all goes. Most of this stuff is all welded on. I just need to go back and snap some better pictures.
Stay Tuned

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 11:30:44 PM by SteeevO » Logged

Rugged Rocks Newsletter | Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com!
------------------------------------------
"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
cbrgoose

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 09:06:44 PM »

I really like how you split all the topics into different sections. Im really looking forward to seeing some pictures and more information on you progress. Thanks!! cheers
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 11:05:38 PM »

The Frame side 3-link brackets are made of 1/4" steel and will weld in behind the transmission crossmember.
The link brackets weld in 5" in front of the torsion bar cossmember and the transmission cossmember brackets are 3" in front of the link brackets.

The New crossmember is made to fit the stock transmission mount as to not complicate things there. Simply bolt the  crossmember to the transmission. the crossmember will more less sit where it wants to be but make sure it's sitting straight before welding the frame side mounting tabs to the frame.

As you can see in the pictures, we goofed up a little and forgot to clearance the transmssion crossmember tabs for the upper link before we welded it in so the edges are a little rough right now but we'll smooth out the cut and round off sharp corners later. (also don't make fun of my excessively long boths that are inthere right now, I'll be swapping them out for GR8 fine thread bolts later. )

* DSC_9024.jpg (134.41 KB, 1024x681 - viewed 1663 times.)

* DSC_9036.jpg (151.08 KB, 1024x681 - viewed 1610 times.)

* DSC_9046.jpg (126.82 KB, 1024x681 - viewed 1632 times.)

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 11:17:28 PM »

The Lower links are made of 2"x.250" DOM tubing. Johnny Joints are being used on the lower links with a 1.25" shank. The links with the johnny joints installed measure about 33" center to center. As you'll see in the picture, The Johnny joins there look faded.. we're actually reusing the johnny joints from the old suspension setup here. the joints are still good after 5 years of road and trail riding!

The Upper link is a a little smaller in diameter being that we we are low on space on these trucks.
We went down to a smaller 1" shank on the johnny joint to allow us to use 1.5"x.120" DOM tubing. Withthe johnny joints installed we're at about 37" center to center.

Keep in mind that these links are adjustable. One end is a left hand thread and the other in a right. so adjusting them just taking loosening the jam nuts and twisting the link.

* DSC_9236.jpg (128.19 KB, 1024x681 - viewed 1564 times.)

* DSC_9245.jpg (89.15 KB, 1024x681 - viewed 1627 times.)

* DSC_9259.jpg (136.12 KB, 681x1024 - viewed 1626 times.)

SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 11:27:13 PM »

With the links bolted in the brackets our work here is done. Now on to other things like coilover hoops and axle prep.

* DSC_9662.jpg (215.59 KB, 1000x665 - viewed 1652 times.)

The_Magicians_Eye

91 Pathy SE

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 11:51:56 PM »

So will the kit come with the tubing or will we have to buy our own tube and weld the ends onto it?

SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 11:56:37 PM »

I'm actually considering cutting the tube to length, & welding up the bungs so they are ready to go.
I won't be powdercoating them though... cause once they scratch there isn't much you can do. It's best to keep a rattle can around and touch it up to keep the rust out.

cbrgoose

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 11:30:56 AM »

Hey Steven, any updates? One thing i would really like to see which i believe you already said you are going to do would be a amazingly detailed instruction booklet when the kit is ordered. That has some pictures where appropriate but a step by step on what you did and how you did it. Kits Ive used in the past that supply that make life much better when using a kit. Does that seem doable? Thanks Thumb-Up
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 10:49:56 AM »

Yes Thats totally doable.   cheers

cbrgoose

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 10:11:08 PM »

How are things going?
Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 10:11:08 PM »

cbrgoose

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 11:06:29 PM »

Are you planning on sway bars? Front or back? Hows it going?  Cheesy
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 11:37:59 AM »

I should actually have the rig rolling today. Ill be updating all the build threads here next week.

oh and.. no swaybars..  Tongue

cbrgoose

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 12:20:23 AM »

ROLLING!!! I like that. I will be checking daily for your update. Thanks!!  Thumb-Up
socalx

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 05:41:49 AM »

I should actually have the rig rolling today. Ill be updating all the build threads here next week.

Rollin?   You are rollin?    How is it all working?   Where are you going to test it out?

Greasy Side Down

KK6BSJ
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 05:57:56 PM »

Well, I'm using 1/2 Ton rotora on 1 ton hubs and I didn't buy the rotors that were already machined out ( I always have to do things the hard way) so Those are getting machined on monday and then.... just a run to the exhaust shop should do the trick!

The trail head is near!

cbrgoose

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 07:39:14 PM »

Rotors? Exhaust? Drivin? Throw us a bone lol. The anticipation is killing me! I hope its going togethor well.
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 06:41:31 PM »

The machinist at the shop for the rotors has been out sick the last few days but I believe I get them back tonight.

haha, I have tons of pics and a TON to write about... I'll be unloading them here. I know it's kill'n ya.. but hang in there.

cbrgoose

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 10:49:47 PM »

Sounds good!! Not trying to be a pest just really excited  Cheesy. Im sure the dudes at the warehouse are sick of me telling them about it lol  Hit  Ill be checking back. thanks
cbrgoose

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 12:07:39 AM »

When are you thinking these kits will be ready to ship? Any price in mind? Hows the truck coming?
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 01:08:48 PM »

It's going to be at least a few more months till the parts are ready for shipping. Ideally We'd like to do one more truck locally as well.

I'll have pricing after the holidays.

Only a few minor things to do to the truck before I hot the trail. I'll probably be ditching the office for the better art of the day next week to take it for a "test drive"

Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: