909-547-4651

April 24, 2024, 05:29:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out New Products for your Rig at the Rugged Rocks Online Store

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardbody exhaust system and smog questions  (Read 12925 times)
Keithwidney

« on: November 20, 2011, 01:51:28 PM »

Well I took my truck to get smoged and it failed . I have a high co reading . So now I need to replace the catalytic converter and since I will be doing that I'm thinking about doing a whole system and wanted to know if there would be any benefit to it , power gains  . What sounds good , not too loud ( I leave for work at 4 am , don't want neighbors to hate me) .or any other info.
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 05:59:34 PM »

Keith,
I'm working on getting more Doug Thorley headers made for the 3.0, with headers and having the exhaust reran with 2.5" pipe you will see gains.

for a muffler I recommend getting something with packing in it to keep the drone down but will still flow well.

Rugged Rocks Newsletter | Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com!
------------------------------------------
"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
Keithwidney

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 09:10:22 PM »

What is the stock pipe size?
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 10:34:17 PM »

2.25" i think . I don't remember 100%

Rugged Rocks Newsletter | Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com!
------------------------------------------
"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
KovemaN

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 10:10:32 AM »

I love the sound of the Flowmaster Delta 50 with the Thorley headers.  It may drone a little on the highway, but the sound is nice and deep without being raspy.  My exhaust guy charges me $100 for new custom exhaust from the cat back.  If you get a universal cat it might cost a little more to have everything connected.  I highly recommend having flanges installed so the system can be removed if needed.
Keithwidney

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 10:30:07 AM »

Where is your guy located . I got a quote yesterday for 400 cat muffler and turn out . A little high price IMO .
KovemaN

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 11:37:10 AM »

I'm in Phoenix.  Sorry if I misled you, but that price was just for the tubing and work to install a muffler that I provided.  I would expect to add another $100-125 for the muffler and $100 for a new cat if purchased from an exhaust shop.  I kept an eye out for a while and picked up a direct fit Magnaflow cat for $75 and the Flowmaster Delta 50 for $60.  My total price was less than $250 installed.
Keithwidney

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 02:46:33 PM »

I found a weld in cat from magnaflow and my muffler is fairly new and sounds ok . So I'm going to go with the new cat , new piping and old muffler . And a set of the Doug thorley headers when I can afford them
Keithwidney

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 08:40:24 PM »

Well I got it to pass without putting a new cat in . I put a new oxygen sensor and cleaned the mass air flow sensor .
Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: