909-547-4651

April 25, 2024, 08:46:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out New Products for your Rig at the Rugged Rocks Online Store

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter wheeling or winter builds?  (Read 23990 times)
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« on: March 07, 2011, 09:36:15 PM »

The weather has brought a fair amount of snow this winter season and some of us take advantage of it to play in the fresh pow and others take this time to build their trucks. But regardless of which you prefer, post up and let us know what you've been up to!

Rugged Rocks Newsletter | Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com!
------------------------------------------
"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
Slick
Chicks dig wheelin too :-)

Chicks dig wheelin too!

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 09:43:58 PM »

Winter wheeling of course!  Cheesy
Haspin Acres on Jan 29th. was rollin solo so not many good pics :-(

did all my "winterizing" in Oct & Nov; fresh frame and underbody paint ( I paint everything!), added some dodge plumb crazy purple to make it fun, did a tune up, fluids, etc. I don't have a garage, so any mods/major maintenance has to wait for spring/summer.
I have a full set of inner fender well gap guards for 3" BL's, courtesy of Performance Accessories (have a friend who works there), that I have to install so King can be the poster child for them. Soon as the weather improves I will get those installed and pics posted up.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:45:16 AM by Slick » Logged

Mini Me '92 XE Thorleys. All custom exhaust. JGC coil lift. Engine built by me, I call the "purple turd".
After 6 yrs I was forced to sell her. She was in a bad marriage for the past 5 years (her body is beat pretty bad), but by the grace of the NPORA, she resurfaced, and I bought her back.
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:49:02 PM »

Outstanding!  Grin
Thats what i like to see  cheers

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
zachbiz

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:44:26 PM »

Winter building for me so far. I'm rebuilding this dana 44 front end I got out of an 89 grand wagoneer from the junk yard. Sand blasting and painting whatever I can. So far I have stripped the rust off and refinished both inner and outer axel shafts on both sides, both caliper brackets and one caliper. Tomorrow I plan on at least getting the other caliper done. After that I need to blast both knuckles, the spindle seats and rotors (not the friction surface). It's a pain in the ass to sand blast with a tiny compressor that is supposed to be used for nail guns and things of that sort. But so far, I have found that there is no other way to prep for painting after you've tried sand blasting.

Next I'm hunting down a 5.38 ring, pinion and carrier on craigslist. after that, I need to get new ujoints, inner oil seals, and new shaft slingers and I have myself a complete and ready axel.

Here are the parts I'm done with.

and here she is, tucked in, patiently waiting.

Alpine Spirit

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:57:11 AM »

The rig tends to be parked Dec-Mar... cant stand winter wheeling when I have to practically do it just to get to work.

So its just collecting parts and fluids for major maintenance overhaul in a few weeks.
eglaisi

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 01:40:01 PM »

My winter build:

It will all be flat black once the perches are welded on.  So the rear D60 is all setup... now I gotta bring down my front D60 and start the overhaul.
zachbiz

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 08:52:13 PM »

oooohh i kinda like the yellow.

salad_man

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 11:23:07 PM »

Been hitting Lytle Creek when the snow hit it, and have been to Big Bear a couple of times, camped there over Christmas and got 8 inches of powder in one night  cheers

93 4Runner, Land Crusier rear coils, BJ spacers up front, 33x12.50 bfg m/t, rear e-locker, and some armor.

Call Sign: KJ6GQS

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
                                        - Doc, Back to the Future
Slick

Chicks dig wheelin too!

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 05:39:48 AM »

.... and have been to Big Bear a couple of times,there over Christmas and got 8 inches of powder in one night  cheers
suhweeeeeeet!  we got hardly any snow (max 3-4" with any of the storms) this year  :-(

Mini Me '92 XE Thorleys. All custom exhaust. JGC coil lift. Engine built by me, I call the "purple turd".
After 6 yrs I was forced to sell her. She was in a bad marriage for the past 5 years (her body is beat pretty bad), but by the grace of the NPORA, she resurfaced, and I bought her back.
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 11:27:59 AM »

oh you wanna talk about snow?

Day one of a 3-day storm.   cover

Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 11:27:59 AM »

Slick

Chicks dig wheelin too!

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 12:23:55 PM »

That's just not nice  :-( I haz a sad now (and jealous as hell!)

SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 01:20:10 PM »

well.... my back window was open....  Hit

Casper

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 05:11:53 PM »

I'm the same as Kev, rig gets parked from Dec to Aprilish. I get enough snow wheeling trying to make it from my house to Hwy 89 during the winter. I have also been holding off on any major mods as I was waiting to see if I got a job in Co. Didn't want to have the rig half torn apart an find out I was moving. Well, didn't get it so now it's time to work on it. Getting rid of the rack, and hopefully replacing front and rear bumpers.

Cheers,
Josh
&
Porthos
salad_man

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 05:40:52 PM »

Man o man, looks like the pathfinder is getting unused and abused... COME DOWN AND GO WHEELING WITH ME!  cover

93 4Runner, Land Crusier rear coils, BJ spacers up front, 33x12.50 bfg m/t, rear e-locker, and some armor.

Call Sign: KJ6GQS

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
                                        - Doc, Back to the Future
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 06:19:17 PM »

oh it's getting used... Hubs haven't been un-locked in over a month.. lol

This pic is what i woke up to that morning. They plow the lot at like 4am

KovemaN

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 01:25:07 PM »

What is this "snow" you speak of  Huh?  It's 81* here.
Chainsaw

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 09:12:06 PM »

Bounce Thread resurrection! I looooove winter wheeling! Er.....for a while. When the snow is fresh fallen and the truck just eats up three feet of powder its awesome! But when the sniw starts to get soggy around here (doesnt take long) it sucks. Stuck city! And Swamper SXs dig to the core of the earth in snow!
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 11:20:21 PM »

wheelin the fresh pow!  Thumb-Up so awesome.

Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: