909-547-4651

March 29, 2024, 01:26:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out New Products for your Rig at the Rugged Rocks Online Store

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Knots  (Read 10520 times)
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« on: March 08, 2011, 03:31:25 PM »

I came across this on-line and thought it might come in handy around camp and when out on the trail etc..

www.iwillknot.com/

Rugged Rocks Newsletter | Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com!
------------------------------------------
"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
RockinX
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 05:53:04 PM »

Nice find.  I tried the Fisherman's Knot that they showed, but I think they need to sloooow it way down for me.   Embarrassed
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 06:19:43 PM »

ah, the fisher mans knot is simple but does look complicated in the video.
It's basically a half hitch on the end of each rope. but each half hitch is tied with the opposite rope down the middle of it.

Thumb-Up

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
gitarboyx

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 07:12:43 PM »

i LOVE the fishermans knowt for joining two peices of line together. but if u put a strain on it dont expect to get it out. its awesome Thumb-Up

When in doubt, gas it out.
Chainsaw

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 09:27:19 PM »

Learn to tie a bowline (pronounced Bowlin) and your in good shape! Always untieable and holds a great % of the line strength. I use it every day.

If you want to tie two bitter end together and take them apart again check out a figure 8 bend.

A clove hitch is one I often use when I need one end of a line tied to something. Quick and easy but it will run sometimes.

Whats really fun is when you start splicing, back slipcing and whipping rope. Ive gotten to where all my rope look very nice and I cant stand a dirty cut! I even learned to eye splice my winch rope!
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 11:17:26 PM »

I know the blowline, figure8 bend, and clove hitch.  Thumb-Up

the clove hitch always seems to have a good rep. but i really don't like it because it usually runs like you mentioned.

I used to splice and whip rope very often including the eye splice, but i haven't had to do it on a syntheitc winch line.  but it's been a really long time. probably atleast 5 years. cheers

Chainsaw

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 09:32:17 PM »

Syn winch line is actually really easy with the proper Fid, basiclly chose the size of you eye, run the fid/tail through the rope,  then back again, dive it into the core, milk the rope high onto the fid, trim each strand to diffent lengths, remove the fid amd milk the rope back down the trimmed strands. Whip if you feel like it.

And putting an eye in steel cable is easy too!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 09:34:20 PM by Chainsaw » Logged
Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: