909-547-4651

March 29, 2024, 07:38:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out New Products for your Rig at the Rugged Rocks Online Store

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TWF TrailWorthFab balancing 37s double beadlocks or broken belts?  (Read 15009 times)
onewaysoldier

« on: April 16, 2011, 06:14:44 PM »

So I know there's not too many X owners running 37s.  But I could use some guidance from those of you w/ experience.

Yesterday I received my TrailWorthFab double beadlocks w/ their 37 JFP tires.  2.5" BS and sitting under my 01 SAS'd 3-link Nissan Xterra.  They look great.  Will post of pics of it w/ all the body trimming once I get this issue worked out. 

Here's the problem, I can't get the rig up over 25 mph w/o picking up a wicked shimmy, bad death wobble (100% of the time).  35 mph is the worst.  I can actually start to feel it coming on around 15 mph but it gets worse up to 35 ish mph.  It's my first time on 37s and double beadlocks. Been running BFG ATs (35x12.5 r15) and had no wobble issues for the last couple years.

And a few things I've tried so far, moved wheels/tires to different spots a couple of times.  Local tire shop firmly declined to balance them.  Researched and read up on balancing these big tires in the Pirate.  Ended up w/ about 22 ounces (2500 qty @ .25g per) of plastic Airsoft BBs in each tire to dynamically balance the them.  Took multiple test drives at 40psi and 20 psi and various speeds and no positive difference.  W/ 40 psi I can get over 45 mph but the whole rig still wobbles pretty bad.  W/ 20 psi I can't get above 35 mph. 

Here's a few things about my rig.  Upfront it's a 3 link w/ a pan hard bar, 2 lower links use large HD Johnny joints.  Actually using the links from the All-Pro Taco SAS kit.  The Johnny joints are tight and in good shape.  No slop in the wholes where they mount.  3rd link and pan hard use HD heim joints.  Heim joints and links are all in good shape and tight.  No slop in the wholes where they mount.  Upgraded tierods from a 3/4 ton chevy, tierods are mostly new (< 2500 miles on them), custom HD drag link and cross link.  No steering stabilizer.  No hydro assist.  Had the wheel bearings check today, they are in good shape and no slop.  Had the knuckles/ ball joints checked out and they are also in good shape, no slop.  Caster is around 10-12 degrees.  Had the alignment done about a month ago it was just over 11 and I've not done any wheel'n since then.  Had the toe adjusted so it's toe'd in just a little.  I've had people follow behind me and watch.  Rear, leaf sprung SOA w/ slide shackles. Rear wheels are not hopping or bouncing at all.

Would appreciate any help/ideas/insight you can give?
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 03:19:28 PM »

It's got to be a balancing issue. I can't imagine that double beadlocks aren't going to be easy to balance at all, I'd hunt around some more and see if you can find someone with a machine so you can see how out of balance it really is.

Rugged Rocks Newsletter | Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com!
------------------------------------------
"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
theking
KI6WTF
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 11:47:22 PM »

It's definitely DW.  The out of balance and out of round is only helping initiate it.  Take the caster down to 3-4 degrees, add a stabilizer, set the toe to dead nuts straight, make aptly sure the drag and track bar are mirrored, add a rear sway bar.  Double beadlocks are notorious for not running true and those tires are not helping either, as with any used tires for that matter.  If you're running a KP D60 tighten up the top spring with washers.  If your link angles are steep, that can encourage DW, too.  Good luck!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:05:24 AM by theking » Logged

Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com
Bobby B.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 04:27:16 PM »

I've had bad death wobble from the wheel bearings going bad.  They loosened up due to bad tires (defective, actually, had to get set replaced) that caused violent shaking problems, but once tires replaced I still couldn't fix the dw.  I replaced everything.  Finally I replaced the wheel bearings. Then was fine.

If your bearings have been toasted due to similar circumstances, they won't necessarily show it visually and re-torquing them won't help.

Hope this helps.

Not all who wander are lost.
onewaysoldier

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 10:02:27 AM »

Had to take them to a trucking tire center and got them balanced ($200). They've been working great for a few years now. No more DW.
Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: