909-547-4651

March 29, 2024, 01:10:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: To Subscribe to the Rugged Rocks Forum RSS Feed

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: getting an axel from the junk yard  (Read 22699 times)
zachbiz

« on: February 19, 2011, 07:48:26 PM »

so i found an appropriate axel in the junk yard from an 89 grand wagoneer. I went to remove it, expecting to unbolt the leaf hangers, drag it out and unbolt the leaf u-bolts. nothing is budging. how should i go about cutting/yanking that thing out. i was thinking battery powered grinder with some cutting wheels but i dont have one. any suggestions?

OldSlowReliable

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 08:05:48 AM »

None of the junkyards near me allow power tools, -especially- power CUTTING tools..I can't really think of a reason why it wouldn't move, unless you spaced and forgot about the shocks/driveline which would be obvious while you were doing it..

The couple you-pull-it's around me will give you a hand depending on what you're pulling, I'd think with something like an axle, they would be happy to get the forklift out there and lift the truck up, grab the axle, and even load it into your vehicle! Considering you'll be handing them a pretty nice check! (places around me actually make you have them come get it for things like engines and body panels (the kind that aren't removable) because they don't want someone just ripping the car apart for one little piece, then they lose all that cash!

When you say nothing is budging, do you mean the axle itself, or the hangar bolts and such? I'm sure they'd drag a torch out there if it meant selling an axle assembly
zachbiz

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 08:25:15 AM »

well im not expecting on handing over too much cash. on their site they said that a full axel assembly, disk to disk is $100 with $15 core charge. I was thinking about leaving the stock hubs there and reducing the price to $85 plus $15 core.

the big problem is the bolts on the leaf pack u-bolts and hangars are frozen and wont allow me to even get the axel out from under the waggy.

I was thinking about going back, prepared (with a proper 25" breaker bar) and my dad (hes got arms the size of a small thighs) and a small propane torch to loosen things up.

OldSlowReliable

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 03:19:48 PM »

If they let you bring the torch in, that would be a good option, but some pb blaster over the span of 24 hours would do it good aswell Smiley

You could probably get in there with a hacksaw and make quick work of them if you didn't mind a little more labor..

I rad over your build thread on clubxterra...makes my want to invest in an X vs my hoopty!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 03:39:52 PM by OldSlowReliable » Logged
zachbiz

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 08:44:56 PM »

finally got it out. just needed the right socket and a bigger bar.

LET IT BEGIN

BlackX
KI6WUV
22nd Expeditionary Group

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 10:08:48 PM »

Nice, i look forward to seeing your progress

alexrex20

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 01:05:49 AM »

i think i'm most impressed that you were able to fold the tarp back up and get it into the packaging!
zachbiz

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 07:52:54 AM »

Haha. Thats a new tarp my dad bought from harbor freight. It just happened to be sitting next to the axel when I took the photo.

salad_man

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 07:21:59 PM »

Have anything else for the sas yet, or is this the first component?

93 4Runner, Land Crusier rear coils, BJ spacers up front, 33x12.50 bfg m/t, rear e-locker, and some armor.

Call Sign: KJ6GQS

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
                                        - Doc, Back to the Future
zachbiz

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 07:33:54 PM »

Nah this is it so far. Next I think I'm going to get or make link, spring and link mounts.

Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 07:33:54 PM »

SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 11:14:49 AM »

awesome man  Thumb-Up
Keep us updated.

Rugged Rocks Newsletter | Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com!
------------------------------------------
"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
zachbiz

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 11:31:31 AM »

dont worry i will, im super excited. although the rust and caked on oil mud is kicking my ass. a good 1/4" of caked on oil based crud, rust welded spindles and rancid gear oil. i guess thats what you get for picking up an axel for $130.

but whatever, ill hit it with a wire wheel and some rustoleum and call it a day.

that reminds me, does anyone have any tips for cleaning and resurfacing axel shafts and insides of the axel tube? and the gear oil had some silt in it and i want to get it off the gear... brake parts cleaner? and for the rust i was thinking wire wheel and sand but can i paint them?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:34:31 AM by zachbiz » Logged

onewaysoldier

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 05:11:48 PM »

Kudos Zach, stoked to hear you found one that quickly.  Took me almost a month to find mine and I had help.

Clean clean clean.  Soak it in some engine cleaner/degreaser and bust out a few wire brushes and a bunch of shop rags.  I've learned the hard way on many a project.  Clean that sucker until it's steel is ready for paint.  Wait for paint until you get all your brackets on and its ready to go under the X. 
zachbiz

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 07:22:29 PM »

i was going to keep soaking it and scrubbing and wiping and what have you until it was greaseless. i was going to wire wheel and paint the brake components where necessary and wait for the rest of the stuff until im ready. I'm debating either paying to get everything sand blasted or build a sand blaster and blast away at everything. that would be the best way, but im trying to do the tightest budget (yet still properly executed) sas build yet.

salad_man

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 11:35:25 PM »

dont worry i will, im super excited. although the rust and caked on oil mud is kicking my ass. a good 1/4" of caked on oil based crud, rust welded spindles and rancid gear oil. i guess thats what you get for picking up an axel for $130.

but whatever, ill hit it with a wire wheel and some rustoleum and call it a day.

that reminds me, does anyone have any tips for cleaning and resurfacing axel shafts and insides of the axel tube? and the gear oil had some silt in it and i want to get it off the gear... brake parts cleaner? and for the rust i was thinking wire wheel and sand but can i paint them?

I would use steel wool for the axles shafts themselves, works great!

93 4Runner, Land Crusier rear coils, BJ spacers up front, 33x12.50 bfg m/t, rear e-locker, and some armor.

Call Sign: KJ6GQS

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
                                        - Doc, Back to the Future
theking
KI6WTF
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 02:22:31 AM »

gasoline is a great degreaser.

Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com
OldSlowReliable

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 02:30:05 PM »

Personally, I'd just clean it up roughly (enough to where the dirt/grime isn't getting in your way) wait till you have it just like you want it, with all the mounts, tabs, trussing etc. welded on and functional, then strip it all down and have it sand blasted.
Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: