909-547-4651

March 29, 2024, 02:51:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out New Products for your Rig at the Rugged Rocks Online Store

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: R50 long-arm suggestions  (Read 21581 times)
alexrex20

« on: January 26, 2011, 02:32:50 AM »

i plan on long-arming my R50. IIRC, the stock lowers are 32in. i would like to use the stock lower links as the new upper links, and then make my own lowers. how long is too long for lower links? how does 45in eye-to-eye sound?

my R50 has 4-link coil rear suspension with a panhard bar, basically the same as a WD21. to long-arm the rear, i can only use a single upper link due to clearance issues with the gas tank. is there anything wrong with converting my 4-link to a 3-link? i will still use the panhard bar.

i'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible, so i plan on reusing all the current link mounts on the axle; the axle-side link ends will be the Rugged Rocks custom 2-3/8in Johnny Joints. the frame mounts will be all new so they will be 2-5/8 width with some bushed ends.

i'd like to hear any and all suggestions, including comments on why i would bother on my IFS Pathfinder. Cheesy
KovemaN

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 09:49:25 AM »

The stock WD21 lowers are only 21" so if the R50 has 32" lowers I would already consider that "long arm".  If you do decide to go with the 3-link you can use the new bracket that Steeevo just had made.  So far I haven't heard any negatives from going to 3-link + panhard.  Roastbeef is running a 3-link in the rear of his frontier and Itsme1738 has a similar setup on his WD21.
alexrex20

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 11:20:56 AM »

My guess is probably off. The R50 lowers are definitely not 11in longer than a WD21.
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »

The thing that kills the stock 4-link setup is the super short uppers. the long lowers on a r50 are just fine.
triangulating the uppers and lowers is what works best but not always an option. your gas tank will get in the way which would make a 3-link most desirable in your case.

I also strongly recommend that you build new upper link mounts on the axle. the stock ones are weak and will twist/rip off.

Also can someone verify the length, eye to eye, of the R50 links you guys have here?

One more thing, Alex, I'm planning on making a run of HD links and the links for the WD21-4-link kit within the next week or so, I can do custom lengths at that time if you need/want.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:10:35 PM by SteeevO » Logged

Rugged Rocks Newsletter | Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com!
------------------------------------------
"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
alexrex20

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 03:45:54 PM »

thanks steve. my lowers measure about 26.5in eye to eye. i think i would still like them a little longer. but not quite 45in lol

i laid under the back of my R50 for quite awhile, trying to think of where i could mount a 3rd link. does it have to be centered on the axle, or can it be all the way on the passenger side, directly above the lower link? there really aren't many options as far as frame-side link mounts...

also, can you link me to the build pics of your triangulated WD21 rear? i couldn't find anything here on the forum.
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 09:01:49 PM »

for a 3-link you'd have to put in a crossmember like RB did on his frontier. ideally it's centered.
I know there is a picture floating around here somewhere...

WD21 4-link:
Here are the frame side brackets:

Truss for H233B

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
gitarboyx

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 11:57:30 PM »

hehe the only other time i saw this it was a cardboard cut out! haha! are they for sale now?

When in doubt, gas it out.
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 02:37:59 PM »

HAha.. Almost.
The first install should be happening in about a week or so.
There will be a full writeup on the install and final testing released shortly after.

Then they'll be for sale.  Thumb-Up

gitarboyx

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 10:36:52 PM »

whose truck is it going in?

When in doubt, gas it out.
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 11:07:45 PM »

I've got a guy up here in tahoe.

Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 11:07:45 PM »

cuong nguyen
Confused Asian Texan

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 07:51:04 AM »

Jeff's running the 3 link WD21 with the axle bracket. He's over at Ronin: http://www.roninwheelers.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5386&page=2

93 Nissan Pathfinder - 4x4 converted, VG33 build in progress
Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: