909-547-4651

March 28, 2024, 08:27:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: View our New trail run pictures in the Image Gallery

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: eglaisi's tube bed  (Read 30376 times)
eglaisi

« on: June 21, 2010, 07:03:06 PM »

So last year when I was putting a new cab on my Hardbody, I got to thinking and figured a full tube bed would be perfect for the truck.  I don't need a full box since I have a Frontier as a daily.  After much internet surfing (mostly on pirate) and lots of thought, I landed on an All-Pro style bed.  I really like the looks and durability of them.  Of course I'm making it all myself and will change some things to suit me.  Biggest difference will be the fact that it's going to be bolted on versus All-pro's welded design.  I'm also adding a tailgate, a toolbox, different rollbar hoop design, and it will be integrated into the trailgear sliders.  Pics do the rest of the talking:

Next up is mounting the sliders so I can build the rollbar off them.  Here's All-Pros bed for example:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 07:17:40 PM by eglaisi » Logged
penski61
22nd Expeditionary Group

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 08:41:16 PM »

you hacking any of the frame off?  looks good so far , id like to do a tube bed but Natalie hates it
eglaisi

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 09:43:39 PM »

Definitely.  2" or so past the shackle mounts.  I'm welding in some rectangular tubing as another crossmember/rear bumper at the rear of the frame.  In the bumper there will be a 2" receiver, 2 clevis mounts, and some sort of license plate mount.  LED tail lights are going in the tailgate.
eglaisi

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 09:26:22 PM »

Started on the sliders tonight after work, got a little progress done.  Pics:

Here's how I'm mounting the rollbar/bed:

This way IMO is better than welding it the frame.  The short section of tube that comes off the bushing is the mock rollbar obviously.  The rest are welded to the frame.  The part where it's a 90deg corner at the end will be a peice of tube that I bend the corner in, asthetic reasons.  Tomorrow I hope to have 1 side tacked on and hopefully started on the otherside.

helix66

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 09:38:02 PM »

Looks really cool, how are you doing the "fishmouths" or tube notching?  I remember seeing a way to do it on pirate using a chopsaw.
penski61
22nd Expeditionary Group

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 09:38:59 PM »

why not buy some tube clamps?  i know they are a little expensive but you wont have any play in the bed plus they wont ware like the bushings
eglaisi

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 09:56:17 PM »

Tube notching was already done on those legs... came from trailgear.  When I do need to notch, I have a hole-saw type notcher waiting to be used.  That, and I'll try the chop saw method.... see which one works better.

As for tube clamps vs bushings.... I could have gone in many directions to do this... just landed on this one.  I doubt there will be play in the bed, it's got 6 other mounts not to mention how stiff the polyurethane is.  Not really concerned about wear either, I figure if it's good enough for suspension bushings... it'll be fine.

That being said though, this is my first tube bed and everything's a guess.  If it doesn't work, I'll mod it till it does   Thumb-Up  Isn't that the fun part?

Oh, nothing new today, started tacking the sliders and found out I ran out of MIG wire  cover
helix66

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 10:47:55 PM »

I want a garage & a welder....with a view of the surf.....guess it's mega millions time!
Bobby B.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 11:31:47 PM »

Like where you're going with this.

On another note...what type of wheels are those.  Kind of digging them.

Not all who wander are lost.
eglaisi

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 07:19:51 AM »

Thanks.  The wheels are from Summit Racing.  50/51 series, 15x10 with a huge -44mm offset.  I really like the way they look on the truck.  The polished aluminum diamond plate I'm putting on the bed should really tie in well with the wheels.

Recently put new calipers on the fronts.  Decided to go Cat yellow on them.  Looks good against the wheels   cheers
Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 07:19:51 AM »

helix66

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 12:28:14 PM »

Did you just paint the calipers?  If so I'd guess high heat paint?
eglaisi

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 06:44:37 PM »

Not only high heat paint, but genuine Caterpillar paint (since I have gallons of it!)

Large heat range, holds up well on engines:

Thumb-Up
penski61
22nd Expeditionary Group

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 08:18:59 PM »

looks like ill be goin the tube bed route as well , i tried to dovetail the bed and well i destroyed the bed lol

so are you goin for the full truggy look or just the tube bed
eglaisi

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 11:01:54 PM »

See what happens.  Planning just the bed for now.  I hate the look of exo's... but an interior cage may be in the future.  Going to pick up some .030 tomorrow so I can burn it up
helix66

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 08:17:12 AM »

Overdone exos may look crappy but they are far more functional than an interior cage...imo.
eglaisi

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 12:59:39 PM »

Depends on if you care about sheetmetal.  I don't.
 Grin
eglaisi

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 10:06:37 PM »

So both sliders are welded up, not yet on the truck, but they are welded up.  Decided to use some 3x3, 3/16 plate at the end of the slider legs, where they're welded to the frame.  Redid 2 of the bed mounts to a better way.  Cut down some 3" body lift spacers and used them as bushings between the mounts.

I expect to get lot's done this weekend... since it's a 4 day weekend (started tonight    cheers ).  I'll get sliders and bed mounts on the frame welded tomorrow.  Maybe throw some tube in the new bender and see what I can do.

By the way, I used the hole saw notcher yesterday and loved it!  It was way faster than I thought.  Just used a cheapy hole saw too.
eglaisi

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 08:27:54 PM »

Sliders are done.  Brackets for the ballistic bushings are welded on, and all the bed mounts are solid.  Next up is the task of the rollbar....   Cheesy

dvdswan

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 10:36:33 AM »

looking good, nice work on the sliders.

Dave
96 HB XE 4WD
Calmini 3" SL, Steering, LSD frt, Lock-Rite rear
eglaisi

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 09:29:58 PM »

theking
KI6WTF
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 01:08:38 AM »

awesome I'd run wood planks for the floor.

Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com
BlackX
KI6WUV
22nd Expeditionary Group

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 08:04:09 AM »

Yea that's looking good

eglaisi

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »

Thanks guys, here's s'more:

I was thinking about laying down 2x6's for the floor, even if its just temporary.
gitarboyx

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 06:40:05 PM »

dang man, nice work. that things lookin sick! kinda makes me want a truck!

When in doubt, gas it out.
Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: