909-547-4651

April 19, 2024, 12:47:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Checkout our customer Product Reviews!!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IFS HELP!!!!!  (Read 20654 times)
gitarboyx

« on: November 17, 2010, 05:59:16 PM »

i have no idea why, you cant see anything wrong. steeevo took a look and saw nothing either, BUT, i keep snapping my tie rods! every time i wheel even taking it easy i break them. its never been an issue before. now it is. i bought some from napa, and maybe they are just weak and i need to go elsewhere. any idoes on what could be the problem, what i could do, or any rumors of this happening? Hit

When in doubt, gas it out.
penski61
22nd Expeditionary Group

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 09:29:31 PM »

have you modified the bump stops at all? maybe your getting to much droop and your TRE cant handle it?
granitex

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 06:51:06 AM »

What steering are you running?

A worn centerlink can rotate and let the inners contact the frame. It usually just bands the adjuster but if that has been upgraded???
Bobby B.

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 02:51:24 PM »

Are you talking about the TREs or the adjusters?

I wasted a few of the NAPA TREs before, with not that much mileage on them either.  Switched back to the factory Nissan OEM ones and no problems since.  In fact, SLR used to recommend using the factory ones over aftermarket.

As far as the adjusters go, if you're running stock then you should carry a few spares -- it's an easy trail fix.  I've not had any problems with the beefier SLR ones, but still carry a few spares just in case.

FWIW, try having a bit of foreward/rearward movement instead of remaining at a dead stop when cranking the wheels.  It really helps to relieve the stress on the steering components, though sometimes, as we all know, things happen despite our best efforts.

Not all who wander are lost.
gitarboyx

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 11:45:25 PM »

penski you talking about the bump stops that are on the lower control arm? if so. i dont think they are there.

i just ahve the stock steering, no modifications. im gonna try and get the stock adjusters from nissan tomorrow. maybe those napa ones are just crap

SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 12:58:08 PM »

you're gonna want bump stops in there.
But the steering looks really close to the frame to me.

Rugged Rocks Newsletter | Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com!
------------------------------------------
"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
Bobby B.

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 01:25:36 PM »

Can you post up a pic of what you're talking about?

If you're running the stock worn out steering, and it's toast, you're going to continue to have problems.  As mentioned earlier, it twists and stresses everything else.

As far as bumpstops go, if you're missing them, than you can use the ones from energy suspension; they're less than $15 and available pretty much everywhere.  They are thinner than stock, but I'd avoid the super thin ones (there are two versions).

I've got a friend whose got an SLR steering setup sitting on the floor of his garage that he wants gone, probably cheap.  If you want I can check, or put the two of you in touch.  I know he doesn't have the better cromo adjusters, but you might be able to scare those up somewhere.

gitarboyx

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 07:19:37 PM »

you can ask him what he wants for it. um, i can put up a pic soon. idk man the whole  thing is just crap. like if i turn hard the wheels are like wobbly. its just all around sketchy. haha im too rough for the stock suspension.

Bobby B.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 07:20:22 PM »

Sent you a PM with the guy's contact info.

theking
KI6WTF
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 10:23:03 AM »

Lee, you need to change out your idler arm.  Best thing to do is get a second steering box, gut it and use that in place of the idler.  I set that up on Helix's rig.  It works awesome.

Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com
Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 10:23:03 AM »

Bobby B.

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 01:06:21 PM »

Lee, you need to change out your idler arm.  Best thing to do is get a second steering box, gut it and use that in place of the idler.  I set that up on Helix's rig.  It works awesome.

That sounds trick.  I'd like to see a pic of that.

gitarboyx

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 02:17:27 PM »

hey kenny ill be up this weekend, you think some time i can come by and you could check it out and explain what i need to do?

theking
KI6WTF
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 03:27:20 PM »

Yeah, for sure.  stop by on Sunday.  If the yard is open we can grab a box and install it.

Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com
BlackX
KI6WUV
22nd Expeditionary Group

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 03:37:22 PM »

How about a how to with pictures if you're going to do it this weekend?

gitarboyx

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 11:31:09 PM »

hey man turns out hat its my center link and theres a ton of play in my steering. so i didnt even drive it up this weekend. its suuper unsafe. haha so i dove my buddies ruck and hopefully i can find one at the yard

Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: