909-547-4651

March 28, 2024, 09:23:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Checkout our customer Product Reviews!!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Calmini SAS kit?  (Read 10851 times)
mikeyjm1

« on: September 27, 2010, 05:46:29 AM »

Anybody know how much lift the kit gets you? we are prepping an axle wanting to plan the suspension. looking at 5.89/5.87s and 38-41" range and not sure if the kit will even get it close to high enough. it does have a 2"bl and calmini rear leafs that are gonna be flipped. if the kit wont do it ill probably put leafs up front to save hassle and money. just wanted some input.

tia,
Mike
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 10:38:36 AM »

I don't think a specific amount of lift is specified but i think with trimming you can fit 37's without a BL.
with your 2" body lift.. maybe more. The clearance between the tire and firewall may become an issue. you will want to push your axle forward as much as possible but you'll be limited as yo how much you can push it forward with a leaf sprung setup.. linking it Might be the only option.

Rugged Rocks Newsletter | Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com!
------------------------------------------
"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
penski61
22nd Expeditionary Group

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 04:34:09 PM »

i think its 5-6" lift
mikeyjm1

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 09:12:25 AM »

i know calmini sets it up for a 10" shock but I really want more like 12 or 14" travel. is the kit that adjustable or am i better off looking at a yota kit and adapting it?

Bobby B.

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 04:17:33 PM »

IMHO you're better off looking at another option.  The radius arms are not long enough to adjust the axle forward enough for tires beyond 35 (especially with no body lift), really.  The johnny joints have to be threaded in a certain amount to hold things together safely.  FYI...the kit was designed for 33s with a 10" shock.

From how you're describing what you want, you're well beyond the usefulness/safety for the Calmini kit.  You'd be much better off designing a setup to handle things accordingly, not to mention having to spend extra time and money to then rebuild/modify the kit to force it where you want it.  Not trying to say what to do, but am basing my input on having lots of time with a fronty with the calmini kit and 35s.

Not all who wander are lost.
theking
KI6WTF
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 08:44:51 PM »

I concur.  Radius arms do not allow for much flex without binding up.     

Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com
SteeevO
Rugged Rocks Founder
Administrator

I'll tell you a story!

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 01:05:11 AM »

for some reason i was thinking we was going on leaf springs. I definitely don't recommend radius arms.
You're better off with a properly built 3-link up front.

Rugged Rocks Newsletter | Check out my articles on CrawlerNews.com!
------------------------------------------
"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights"
Nissan Off Road & 4x4 Forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: